In the accounting field, it is quite normal to hear of accounting post like accounts assistant, accounts /receivables/payable clerk, accounts Executives, accounts Officer, accountant, etc, but what then about the post of Financial Analyst.
This article looks at a typical role of the financial analyst.
Normally, the person who is appointed into this role will involve in a wide-ranging finance role(collate, analyze raw data into useful information and all these should be able to be translated in term of financial term.)
We can have the candidate to be designated and involved with the various parties like the financial accounting team, management/managerial accounting team, costing, management information system, planning/ purchasing,etc
Specific roles include some of the following:
- accounting matters, including the preparation and analysis of P&L (revenue focus) and Balance Sheet
- Reporting on Month end closing, e.g. margin variance analysis, ad-hoc financial and management reporting
- working with the Accounting Team in the upgrade of financial systems and tools to enable management to quickly and accurately assess financial performance and trends.
- Automate budgeting and reporting functions.
- Provide monthly analysis on financial results through Business Unit P&L, and identify key drivers for improvements.
- Engage in risk and opportunities assessments. Assists in developing and implementing strategic business initiatives such as cost management programs and pricing strategies.
- Implements and maintains internal controls processes.
- Performing forecasting
Some of the minimum essential requirements are:
- Degree in Accountancy and/or Finance or professional qualification, Qualification as CPA highly preferable
- Minimum a few years working experience in Financial Analysis, Financial Accounting and/or Management Reporting
- Hands on approach with a keen attention to details, good organizational ability and proven performance in problem solving
- Advanced Excel application skills
- Strong Financial Analysis skills
- Able to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Sound business understanding, with strong business acumen.
- Good management presentations skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good English, both verbal and written
- Hands-on experience in Project Management and Financial Modeling is a plus.