August 17th, 2008
Why do organizations worldwide striving to find the best type of leadership style? Quite simply, with good effective leadership, the leader(s) can drive their work group to achieve all the critical aspects of the company’s goals/objectives. Leadership is essential for effective management and a good leader is able to understand his sub-ordinates, their needs and source of satisfaction. The quality of leadership usually determines the fate of one organization. “In fact, Management activities such as planning, organizing and decision-making are like dormant cocoons until the leader triggers the power of motivation in the people and guides them towards the goals.
Some of salient points of benefits/importance of having good effective leaderships are as follows:
- Motivating employees-sound leadership creates an urge for accomplishment and transforms potential into performance. A good leader improves the loyalty and commitment of employees towards the organization hence able to motivate individuals to work harder.
- Morale building-good leadership is crucial to high employee morale.The leader lifts a man’s vision to higher sights, raises his performance and builds up his personality, develop good human relationships, facilitates interactions, maintains voluntary cooperation and discipline among work groups/followers
- Creating confidence-able to create and sustains self-confidence and enthusiasm among his workgroup. He provides guidance and advice to enable the subordinates able to recognize their qualities and capacity. The leader acts both as a coach ad counselor, setting examples for others. In brief, a good leader serves as a paternal figure and members gain strength and security by identifying emotionally with him.
- Coordination-fosters mutual understanding and team-spirit among his/her followers, creates a community of common interest by harmonizing organizational goals and individual interest of the subordinates. Able to resolves internal conflicts by serving as arbitrator amongst opposing factions. It is the cohesive force which holds the group intact to achieve the company’s goals.
- Facilitator of change-able to convince people about the need for change. In the business world of uncertainty and change, the business leader becomes a vital element in the very process of change itself.
- Goal setting-able to set objectives/goals and provides guidance, interpretation in achieving them.
- Representation-a leader represents his followers/workgroup. He is the personal embodiment and true guardians of its group’ interest and integrity.