September 24th, 2008
Append below some of the ways to gauge the effectiveness or reliability of an Internal Audit Department:
|Status In Organization Structure/Chart & Access/Communication To Top Level Management
- The level of department and the level of management to which the internal auditor reports to.
- Generally, the higher the level the internal auditor reports means the greater will be his independence
- Question to ask is whether the internal auditor is given access and can communicate to the Board of Directors/Audit Committee
|Scope Of Function
- The nature and depth of coverage of the assignment which the internal auditor
- More importantly, look whether there is any sort of restrictions, if any on the scope of work/activities of the internal audit department.
- Are there some departments that the internal audit department cannot audit or has very weak scope in audit terms/reference?
- Are the internal audit objectives in congruence with the objectives of the company and are they measurable, achievable and able to communicated
|Technical ,Experience & Knowledge Competence
- Is the internal auditor having adequate proficiency in terms of experience, knowledge or technical competency?
- Need to review his or her experience and professional qualification who are working in the internal audit department
|Due Professional Care
- Ascertain whether the internal auditor work appear to be properly planned, supervised, reviewed and documented.
- Check/review whether there are any adequate audit manuals, audit programmes and working papers existing in the internal audit department
|Follow Up Of Internal Audit Recommendations
- Ascertain whether the internal audit recommendations are implemented by the management, whether errors reported are corrected without delay or any remedial action taken either immediately or timeline
- Note that if other departmental/ operating/ line managers do not bother much of the internal audit recommendations, it would mean that it is not effective and do not have the support of top management level!